Jobs for July
- If you haven’t done so already, plant out or sow runner beans, French beans and courgettes
- Plant out Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli for a crop next spring
- Keep feeding tomatoes weekly, pinch out side shoots on cordon varieties
- Snap off onion and garlic scape (flower spikes) as they appear
- Keep the hoe and watering can busy!
- If you have the space, keep sowing beetroot, kohl rabi, radish, spring onions, lettuce, peas and carrots
- Keep picking soft fruits such as strawberries, currants, raspberries, hybrid berries and gooseberries
- Pinch out the growing tips of broad beans once the pods start to form to discourage black fly
- Begin harvesting main crop potatoes
- Cut sweet pea flowers to bring indoors, remove seed pods to encourage more flowers
- Tie in Runner Beans and sunflowers as they grow
- Ventilate the greenhouse
- Transplant or ‘dib in’ leek seedlings once they’re the width of a pencil
- Begin harvesting garlic and onions if ready, lay garlic bulbs out to dry on racks in a well ventilated greenhouse or shed, lay onions on the ground in the sun (or the greenhouse if the weather is bad)
- Prevent heads of white cauliflowers turning yellow in the sun by pulling the nearest large leaves over and snapping into place
- Begin propagating strawberries using runners
- Harvest crops when ready and enjoy!
Let’s just pretend the weather is how is should be for July and that we can actually get on with most of the jobs on this list !!!